Thursday, May 22, 2014

Start with Being Happy with Yourself...

Hello Everyone,

A recent online discussion about losing weight, asked the question, "How important is weightloss?"

My answer is: it is important.

Being overweight, or obese takes a toll on the body.  The person ends up paying for that toll, in a myriad of different ways.  This has been proven time and again.  So no question there.  I am personally working on losing weight.

If a person chooses to not lose weight, that is their choice.  However, I do not believe that discussing weight loss (and the associated goals) should be the first step for a health coach.  This is based on my own personal experiences with my weight issues.

Having someone say, this is how you do it.  (ie, decide to lose weight, set a goal, and lose the weight).  This doesn't work either.  Well, maybe for a small percentage of people.

The whole discussion got me to thinking about what I had to do first in my life.

So the question I have for you, "How important is being your mental health?"

Being personally overweight / borderline obese, (and slowly losing weight), I believe the first big leap, comes from being comfortable and happy, with yourself.  You know, who one is with one's self.

You must make peace with yourself, on the subconscious level and the conscious level, prior to making any significant progress with the rest of your life.

You need to make the choice, then the commitment, and the follow on actions.

There is no one else that can do it for you.

There are lots of methods out there, for changing one's own mind.  For me, I had to start small.  Real small.

Take the time to do this, and the rest will follow.  Just don't forget what your goal is.

Until the next post,

Dan W.

No comments:

Post a Comment